Hello to everyone,
We do hope you are all well and adapting to the new 'normal'. We wanted to reassure you not to get stressed or pressured about having to work with the children. We're all in new territory here and will all need to find a way to make it work. Many of you will be juggling child care with working from home, together with coming to terms with the enormity of what is happening in the world.
Each day will be different in every house and will often be different from one day to the next. If you manage to do a little bit of reading, counting and writing most days that would be great and would keep them ticking over. Some days that won't happen, and that is completely fine. The happiness and well being of you and your families is paramount, so don't worry.
Please take time to enjoy time with your family at home, snuggling up on the sofa, playing games and having fun.
We will continue to add weekly activities and ideas for you to try at home for those who want it, with the aim of helping you. Don't feel obliged to fill your day with it and that you have to do it all. Pick and choose, but most of all have fun.
If you need further guidance, support or have a question or query, we are always here. Just send us a new observation on Tapestry.
If you cannot logon to Tapestry, please email the school office and they will be able to let us know so that we can resend activation passwords.
Many thanks, stay safe.
Mrs Cobourne and Mrs Fayers.
Phonics and Reading Activities
Please use the time you have together at home to snuggle up and share plenty of stories. There are many activities you can do based on a story -
* The children can spot familiar words and sounds they have learnt.
* They can make predictions about what may happen.
* Draw a story map of the story.
* Act out the story.
* Write a sentence about their favourite part.
The children have been sent home with a pack of activities to keep them busy at home.
Included in the pack is a sheet of sounds that the children have been introduced to. These can be cut up and used in a variety of ways -
* Ideally, we would like the children to keep these sounds fresh in their mind by looking at them every day. You can use them as flashcards and challenge your child to get faster and more accurate every day.
* You can use the cards to make 3-letter words for your child to read (blending).
* You can challenge your child to make 3-letter words you give them using the cards (segmenting).
At school we follow the Read Write Inc Phonics programme. They are running a selection of live phonics lessons from Monday 23rd March for the next two weeks. The films will be shown at the times below and be available for 24 hours.
For more details, please use this link https://www.ruthmiskin.com/en/find-out-more/coronavirus-covid-19-update/
This is a link to their Parent's Guide https://home.oxfordowl.co.uk/reading/reading-schemes-oxford-levels/read-write-inc-phonics-guide/
The websites below provide lots of other ideas and activities you can do with your child.
* Amazon has now cancelled subscription of books and audio stories for children and students of all ages, whilst schools are closed. Kids everywhere can instantly stream an incredible collection of stories, including titles across six different languages, that will help them continue dreaming, learning and just being kids.
All stories are free to stream on your desktop, laptop, phone or tablet using the following link.
The pack the children have brought home include a set of 1-20 number cards. These can be cut out and can be used in a variety of ways -
* As flashcards for quick recognition.
* For ordering.
* Counting and matching (either to the picture cards in the pack or small items you may have at home - Lego pieces, buttons, leaves etc)
* Identifying one more and one less than a number.
* Adding small numbers together.
The links below provide lots of maths games and activities to keep you busy.
Other Activities to keep you busy!
Joe Wicks, The Body Coach, is running daily PE sessions for children who are at home. They will run at 10am everyday on his YouTube channel.
If you are looking for additional resources then Twinkl is the place to go! It is a fantastic website with a full range of resources and home learning packs for all ages and subjects. The site is offering free membership to parents at this time.
User Code: IRLTWINKLHELPS